Sunday 21 December 2014

Garden Visiting In December

There was a bit of a false start to my garden visit for December. Knowing there wouldn't be many plants around at this time of year, I'd decided that I'd cheat and visit Tropical World where the greenhouses hold the UK's largest collection of tropical plants outside of Kew Gardens. What I didn't bargain for was that Tropical World was going to close in December for refurbishment.

With that idea shelved, I had a scout about on the internet and came up with The Red House Museum. The house itself is an 1830's cloth merchant's home with Bronte connections but it was the gardens I was interested in. Apparently, they're restored to the 1830's period with scented old roses, borders of old fashioned flowers, an ornamental rose pillar, flower basket beds and a serpentine walk. It sounds lovely, doesn't it? In reality, there's one smallish area with not very much to see at this time of year.

I had to come up with something else, so it was to my trusted old friend, Temple Newsam, that I turned. I showed you around the walled garden in my Garden Visiting In July - Part One and Garden Visiting In July - Part Two posts, so this time, I'd like to show you around the gardens in the grounds.

It's not the best time of year to visit gardens if you're expecting to see an abundance of plants at their best, but there's still plenty of interest of other sorts. Take trees, for example, some are still clothed in their vibrant green leaves, whereas the shape which is usually hidden can now be seen from the ones which have shed their leaves. I think this particular one would look lovely at this time of year with a few lights twinkling amongst the leaves.


This one too.


This tree reminds me of a huge bonsai, a contradiction in terms.


Look how twisted this tree has grown, it has such a dramatic effect as it overhangs the lake.


The grass is still looking very green but it has a backdrop of bare plants and trees.


The borders are looking very bare.


There are lots of signs of life waiting to burst forth though. Temple Newsam has a beautiful rhododendron walk, it's a riot of colour in May and June. The buds are formed already and are sure to give an outstanding display next year.




There's a small grass garden by the side of the lake.


Most of the grasses have now been cut down.


There's different types of bamboo planted here, I stood and listened to the wind swishing through it.



Not all the grasses have been cut down, some are very tall indeed.


I love how the sun catches the plumes of this pampas grass.


We paused for a while by the side of the lake to watch a couple of Jays. You might just be able to make one out in the centre of this photo, I could have done with my longer lens with me.


The lake looks beautiful summer or winter. The gardens in Temple Newsam were landscaped by Lancelot 'Capability' Brown and I think the lakes and the planting around them are striking.




The willow has just about dropped all of its leaves now. The few it has held on to will, no doubt, have been shed in the wind we've experienced over the last few days.


I'm sure you'll agree that there's plenty of enjoyment to get from visiting a garden, even this late in the year. There may not be lots of flowering plants around but there's still so much interest.


I thought it was going to be challenging finding a garden with enough interest in it to visit in December but I was wrong. An added bonus was that Archie got a walk in his favourite place.

24 comments:

  1. As you say, there is still plenty to see, despite the absence of flowers. The lake looks very beautiful in the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the lake area, it always seems so tranquil around it. I think the planting round about is spot on with so many evergreen trees and just the right amount of deciduous ones.

      Delete
  2. We were planning visit to TropicalWorld in October but decided against when we realised that it was half term. When does it reopen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made a wise decision to avoid Tropical World in the school holidays, we've been to Roundhay Park during half term and you should see the queue for Tropical World. It reopens in February as far as I can see from the website, I'm glad I checked it before we set off.

      Delete
  3. Your pictures perfectly illustrate that there's still plenty of interest in gardens like this at this time of year.
    Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's definitely lots of interest still around, even at this late stage in the year. The beauty of Temple Newsam or similar places is that there's more than gardens to enjoy on the visit.

      Delete
  4. How lovely, there is still plenty to see at this time of the year and trees really hold the fort. I did smile at your huge bonsai.....I must say it does look like one.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the trees really stand out at this time of year, I feel I appreciate them more when other types of plants are in shorter supply. I kind of expect to see that bonsai tree stood in one of those lovely trays covered in gravel.

      Delete
  5. Oh, lovely Jo and my favourite photo is the twisted tree. Thanks for showing this to me at a different time of the year, to when we were there. Gardens are interesting all year round for me. I must catch up on my UK photos. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that twisted tree too. Temple Newsam is a great place for a walk at any time of year, there's always something to see.

      Delete
  6. You can't go wrong with a place like that, there will always be something to see. I wish my garden was as tidy though! The lake is lovely, with the ducks too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Around the lake is such a lovely area and then just to the back is the walled garden which I wrote about back in July. The ducks and swans were following me up and down the lake as I was taking the photos.

      Delete
  7. It's lovely to visit a garden at any time of year. We recently visited Mount Usher Gardens - south of Dublin. You can read about it on my blog if you are interested (not the most recent post but not too far back).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've enjoyed visiting a garden each month this year, as you say, they're lovely to visit at any time of year. I read and commented on your post about Mount Usher Gardens when you wrote it.

      Delete
  8. You can tell how amazing it will be in spring, although it is very beautiful now, and it is nice to be able to focus on the shapes of things and the trees and so on without the distractions of flowers isn't it. I hope that perhaps you will get to Tropical World next year after all the work is done. Happy Christmas! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to live so close to Temple Newsam, we get to see it in all seasons and all weathers. It's quite a while since I've been to Tropical World so it will be nice to go next year and see how it's changed. Thank you. Happy Christmas to you too.

      Delete
  9. It looks like a wonderful garden and place to walk. It's amazing isn't it when you think that a walk is not going to be that interesting when you really look you see lots of things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Temple Newsam is a place we visit often. It's so convenient as it's close to home and Archie enjoys his walks there, but it's such a beautiful place too.

      Delete
  10. Still well worth a visit Jo despite it being so late in the year. It always so interesting to see what lies underneath a tree once it sheds its leaves. We have jays visiting the garden. It's always amusing to watch them when they have a dip in the bird bath - talk about a bad hair day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a much bigger variety of birds visiting the garden than I used to but I've never seen a Jay.

      Delete
  11. The leafless trees look so beautiful! Such and interesting place. Thank for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they've got the mix of trees which drop their leaves and those which don't just right.

      Delete
  12. It's always good to get out for a long walk, Jo, and these gardens fit the bill nicely. I'm hoping to get along to see the Winter Walk at Wisley before too long. Lots of colour there I hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were out and about again yesterday, walking off the excesses of Christmas Day. It's good just so long as the weather's cooperating, it's very cold today after the snowfall of last night.

      Delete

 
!-- Start of StatCounter Code for Blogger / Blogspot -->