Friday 14 March 2014

Garden Visiting In March - Part One

This year, I'm visiting a garden each month. I was looking online for a garden to visit in March when I came across information about Manor Heath Park in Halifax and I thought this would fit the bill nicely. It sits on the site of an old manor house which was demolished in 1959, but the walled garden and other features still exist.

We decided we'd have a run out to look at the walled garden. According to a sign, it was once used to grow flowers, fruit and vegetables for the Manor House, but is now used to demonstrate different types of gardening techniques of topical interest and bedding plant trials for Calderdale's parks.


I just love walled gardens, it's the brickwork with gnarled old plants growing against it that does it for me. That and the fact that my favourite children's book is The Secret Garden. I've often fantasized about finding a key and discovering it fits the door to a walled garden that's been locked away for years.



Many of the borders were quite bare, but there's lots of signs giving the names of plants in the ground, so I'm sure they'll fill out beautifully in time.



It's very well kept and there's still a huge amount of interest and things to see even this early in the year.


As well as planting in the ground, containers are used to good effect.


I'm not very good at identifying trees, but I think this one may be a corkscrew hazel as its branches are highly contorted. It's covered in catkins at the moment. There's pretty underplanting and some beautiful coloured dogwoods to the side.



Through the archway and these must be the bedding plant trials which were mentioned earlier.



There may be plants waiting to come through, but there's plenty more flowering at the moment. I'd have missed the gorgeous hellebore display if I'd visited later in the year.


There's lots of opportunity to take a seat for a few minutes of quiet contemplation.




How's this for recycling? An old boot just outside the walled garden.


As you can see, there's plenty going on inside the walled garden, but I haven't finished with Manor Heath Park just yet, I'll show you some more in Part Two.

Don't forget, if you haven't yet entered my giveaway, you've got until twelve noon on Sunday the 23rd of March 2014 to do so. Just leave a comment on The Cut Flower Patch post.

30 comments:

  1. I'm astounded byt the size of the Fatsia lol. I thought mine thrived here at the coast in the Highlands but that one is huge!
    Lovely photos thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is rather on the large side, isn't it? I think this will be a wonderful garden to visit in summer, there was so much promise of things to come.

      Delete
  2. Looks like very interesting place. I share your love of walled gardens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there's some wonderful places to visit, it's just a case of coming across them if you don't already know of them. I could spend hours in walled gardens, such fabulous places.

      Delete
  3. Was it Archie friendly? Maybe another one we should visit,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Archie friendly. He had to be put on his lead in the walled garden, but that's fine, we'd have put him on his lead anyway, but there's plenty of grass in the park for dogs to have a good run.

      Delete
  4. Very nice. Warm old brickwork always provides a wonderful backdrop to planting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does. I love to see espaliered trees grown against the brickwork and roses too.

      Delete
  5. A most enjoyable post and good pictures. I always find walled gardens interesting so would enjoy looking round this one. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what it is about walled gardens, they seem to capture most people's imaginations. Whether they're being used as a kitchen garden or as this one is, I don't really mind, I enjoy looking round any.

      Delete
  6. It looks a great place Jo, I do like a walled garden myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying my garden visits. I'm hoping to come across some more walled gardens to visit over the course of the year.

      Delete
  7. There is so much to see, even though it isn't a traditional garden visiting time!! I bet that it is great later in the year too. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a garden I'd like to see later in the year. A good garden has interest year round, and there's plenty to see here.

      Delete
  8. Another walled garden fan here Jo. That corkscrew hazel is a beauty. I look forward to reading the next instalment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not very good at identifying trees, but I'm sure this one is a corkscrew hazel, it's branches give it away. It was dripping with catkins. The next instalment is something a bit different.

      Delete
  9. It looks like a really wonderful place to visit, with lots of interest. I do love the corkscrew hazel, wonderful. And the evergreens and the covered seat, and the beautiful old brick wall - lovely, lovely, lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's so much loveliness in this garden, isn't there? I expect gardens to be at their best later in the year, but there was so much to see here in March, the true sign of a good garden.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful garden. The last picture is a beautiful shoe, isn't it? Inspiring... thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the old boot shows that plants can grow just about anywhere. A great way to reuse things which are no good for purpose anymore.

      Delete
  11. What a lovely series, Jo. I really look forward to seeing more pics. of this fascinating walled garden. Great idea to visit a garden a month. I'll be in England in June (Mom's 95th) and I plan on visiting some in the Scheme. P. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't often visited gardens in the past, so I'm hoping to rectify that this year. Visiting a garden each month will put me on the right track.

      Delete
  12. Lots to see in the different areas of the walled garden. I like the planting of the pansies and the heathers in pots. they look good with the old wall as a backdrop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The walls really set off the planting, I think it's the same in any walled garden. Funny how some old bricks can give such an effect.

      Delete
  13. Ahhh, I'm with you there, you just can't beat an old walled garden, the very stones give it character....off ot read part two...xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got at least one more walled garden to visit this year, I can't wait.

      Delete
  14. Haha, cool boot-planter! I tend to wear boots like that when I go gardening :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I think you and my hubby would get on well. He's been wearing boots like those for I don't know how long, but I've just persuaded him to buy some new ones so he's all posh again now.

      Delete
  15. I love walled gardens and have never heard of that one. We're often in that area so will have to make a note of it for our next trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never heard of it either, I don't think it's very well publicised. It would be interesting to see how it looks in summer.

      Delete

 
!-- Start of StatCounter Code for Blogger / Blogspot -->